Monday, June 04, 2007

Remodeling the Bathroom

Well, the bathroom project is going well. Pictures are available on Katrina's blog (see to the left for a link). The demo took me about 11 hours total which isn't too bad really. Removing the drywall was effort, but relatively easy. Taking out the tub was not to bad either, just some pipe cutting, and the fact that it was about 300lbs were the only difficulties.

The first phase in starting was the electric. I wired up a GFCI circuit with two outlets, and a shower fan and shower light. The fan and light are on one switch. Then there are two over-head can lights, and two wall sconses, each on a dimmer switch. I spent about 3 hours in the attic with itchy fiberglass insulation which is never fun. Total of about 12 hours doing all that. The lighting is terrific.

For the next phase, the tub went in. It wasn't too bad really, just had to put down some more flooring and shim it to the walls and screw it in. The backer board for the tub was pretty easy too. I used a new product called DensShield which is better than Durock. I did the joints with mortor and mesh tape. Next was the drywall. Since there was a lot of stuff to work around, it took me probably 20 hours to get all that in. I did the first coat of mud yesterday, which
is not fun, but it is the hardest coat. I will sand it tonight. Over the next week or so, I will do 3 more coats then it is finished. I won't take any shortcuts with it as I want it to look really nice of course.

So that is where I am at now...

Next I will be tiling the tub, hopefully on Saturday. If all goes as planned, I will lay the tile and be done Saturday, then do the grout on Sunday. Of course I may over-run that time. After that, I will put in the new vanity, which will be stained to match the woodwork. We have a really nice granite top for it, a nice bronze fixture, and also bronze everything else including shower fixtures, door handles, toilet handle, etc.

After that I will tile the floor, which should be easier than the tub. I should have that done the following weekend, then get the new toilet in a day after the grout dries on the floor. Before we put the counter back-splash in, we will paint. We are doing a 3-color fo-paint job, which should be beautiful. The last job, which may drag out for a while is the wood-work, which I am making myself. That will consist of door trim, all-around floor trim, and then crown molding. I figure I can get that done at my leisure. I have spent about 80 hours so far, and figure I have about 60 more to go (and probably 30 more for the woodwork). I figure I will have saved about $10,000 in costs by doing it all myself. I think at the end, it will be a nice wow-factor for the house.

The next project is TBD. I plan on pretty much doing small tasks for the rest of the summer, and probably through football season. If we have the budget for it next year, I might work on the small bathroom. I really want to do our kitchen, but we won't have the budget for that for several years at least. Bummer...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading the details of your project, Eric. As I've said before we are very impressesd with all your talents and skills. I know you are doing a quality job and we look forward to seeing what all you have done on the 17th!! When do you want to come down to Florida and redo our master bath there??????

christa said...

Sounds like a lot of work still needs to be done before the Florida clan arrives in about three weeks!!! No pressure. I can't wait to see the walls. I'm really anxious to see how fo-painting compares to faux-painting. A little less French and a lot more country, I guess;) Really though, I am very impressed with what you have accomplished on your own. I mean, if that were our bathroom and Demel demolished it to the extent that you did, I probably wouldn't get a shower for about six months...and that's optimistic! But to Demel's credit, he kicks butt at mowing the lawn. Oh, wait we pay someone to cut our 1/16 of an acre! (Sorry honey, if you're reading this, I didn't mean for this to be another Demel bashing on Eric's blog. I really do love and appreciate you;))Now I'll apologize to Eric for putting mushy loving stuff on his site. I'll shut up now. See you soon Erica- go "fo" something!